Home > About Us
The Elk Grove Village Public Library serves a population of just over 33,000 residents in Cook and DuPage Counties.
Connecting our community by sharing knowledge.
We facilitate the sharing of knowledge among people of all ages for the purpose of enriching lives and building community.
Developing Awareness and Engagement
We stimulate greater public awareness and cultivate trusted relationships.
Responding to the Community
We provide services, materials, and technology that meet diverse community needs.
Cultivating Lifelong Learning
We help people life fruitful lives by helping them enhance their skills and knowledge.
Building on Strengths
We develop staff and improve our facilities to provide excellent service.
|2022||The Library renames the Small Conference Room in honor of Darlene Greaves, founding member of the Library.|
|2022||Mary Vitale is named new Library Board Trustee.|
|2020||The Library goes fines free.|
|2019||The Library celebrates its 60th anniversary.|
|2018||Elk Lab Makerspace opens in December.|
|2015||Debra Nelson is named the Library's director.|
|2013||Patrick McDonald is named the Library's director.|
|2011||Rhonda Szewczyk receives the Oberman-Richard Award, presented by Illinois Library Association's Reaching Forward.|
|2010||For the consecutive second year, HAPLR rates the Library as the best in the North Suburban Library System (NSLS).|
|2009||HAPLR rates the Library as the best in the North Suburban Library System (NSLS) and the third best in Illinois.|
|2009||The Library celebrates its 50th anniversary.|
|2008||The Circulation area is completely remodeled and moved to the lobby.|
|2003||A new room with 24 computers is added in Adult Services.|
|2003||Expansion of Youth Services is completed.|
|1997||Lee Maternowski is named the Library's director.|
|1990||The Library's collection expands to 363,000 items.|
|1990||The Library moves to its third and current location on Wellington Avenue.|
|1987||Salk Creek floods and causes extensive damage to the Library's furniture and destroys 30,000 books.|
|1979||The Library adds it 100,000th volume to its collection.|
|1979||The Library begins using computers for all its circulation functions.|
|1977||A second story is added to the Library's building.|
|1971||A 6,000 sq. ft. addition to the Library's building is completed.|
|1966||The Library's collection expands to 10,000 items.|
|1966||The Library moves into its second location, a 2.58-acre property near Biesterfield Road and Salt Creek.|
|1965||The Library officially becomes a part of the North Suburban Library System.|
|1959||The Library first opens in a house on Forest Lane with a collection of 1,500 books.|
|1959||The Elk Grove Village Junior Woman's Club starts the "A Book and A Buck" campaign to help raise funds for equipment and books for the Library.|